31 Days of Learning
I hope January has been kind to you and 2018 is inviting you to be the best version of yourself.
At the end of December I read that training matchmaker were running a challenge called LearnuaryNI and I thought “Hmmm that looks interesting”
I am constantly being introduced to interesting, informative, obscure and random leanings through life and the lovely people who come into Hydro-ease.
On a daily basis I share my pearls of wisdom, or nuggets of randomness on social media. So, I thought it might be nice for me to share some of the banked gems I have already stored in my neurology and throw in some of my tips and tricks to emotional and physical well-being to support you in achieving the very best 2018.
Life becomes such a lovely place to be when we learn to;
1. Breathe properly – Simple, I know. However, so many of us breathe from the top of our chest. Unfortunately, these muscles aren’t built for routine respiration, and they get exhausted and tender If this occurs. It could trigger a cascade of uncomfortable consequences over time, always try to breathe properly. If you understand how hydraulics work you can grasp how breathing should. The diaphragm is your primary breathing muscle, it is a thin wide sheet of muscle that separates the rib-cage from the abdomen. When the diaphragm expands it flattens and pushes downwards like a plunger, like a piston in a cylinder. I have gone into quite a bit detail here as I think it’s so important to know.
2. Float regularly- What can I say, floatation is the most effective anecdote to modern life, check out our website for more info http://hydro-ease.co.uk/floatation.html
3. Apply self havening, it will literally change your life for the better by unhooking emotional content. http://www.havening.org/directory/grid/practitioners-list-grid
4. Talk about how we feel. Sharing your emotions is NOT a sign of weakness, quite the opposite. It shows great courage, its ok not to be ok.
5. Balance our thoughts- Like a see-saw. For every negative/unproductive thought we have or dwell on we should also consider the exact opposite to give us the “Wise mind approach”
6. Have a regular bed time/sleep pattern- This regulates our circadian rhythm which helps to regulate our ultradian rhythm (brain wave activity)
7. Drink approx. 2 litres of water every day, preferably distilled to hydrate our mind and body.
8. Eat like a king at breakfast, a queen at lunch and a pauper at dinner time (gives our body a chance to rest and repair while sleeping without having to digest a full belly)
9. Laugh as often and as heartily as you can, even just pretend too, your body cant differentiate between real laughter and fake so it produces the same reactions/chemicals within the mind and body.
10. Exercise regularly, even if that just means stretching your legs away from your desk every 90 minutes.
11. Schedule in self care on a daily and monthly basis (again float!)
12. Live in the moment, smell the flowers in the park, play with the bubbles in the bath/sink, taste the food, listen to your body.. it’s the expert on you.
13. Live by CIA .. Can I control this situation/event/person (anything outside your own thoughts and decisions are uncontrollable) Can I influence it? Can I accept it (Control, Influence, Accept) this cuts down on anxiety and stress.
14. Be flexible wherever you can. Being too rigid in any interaction leaves you open to becoming “stuck”
15. Place cold water under your tongue when you feel anxious and let your tongue float. This reduces anxiety by activating the parasympathetic nervous system.
16. Not believe everything we read on social media and take a holiday from it regularly
17. Differentiate between a reaction and a response, ask yourself this question “Am I allowing this person to control how I feel?”
18. Forgive yourself, you are only human and are doing the best you can with the resources you have
19. Be honest with yourself, it’s the one person who truly deserves it
20. Love with every inch of your being.
21. Be Kind. Listen to someone you have no time for, even the dull and boring have a story.
22. Smile at a stranger and say “Hello”
23. Tell people what they mean to you while you have the chance
24. Personally, keep in touch with close friends. It’s such a great feeling to get a hand-written card/letter though the post, you may even inspire them to do the same.
25. Get a bucket list and commit to achieving at least one a year
26. See the best in people, even when they don’t deserve it, don’t let anyone’s dark cloud place you in the shade
27. When you hear a babies laughter STOP and really listen.
28. Have regrets .. about the things you did do, not the things you didn’t.
29. Not listen to others when they tell you – you are too old, late, or not good enough to do what your heart desires. Often the difference between someone who can and someone who can’t do something is how they are representing the situation to themselves in their head.
30. Walk bare feet whenever you get the opportunity
31. And last but not least make friends with yourself, you are the best friend you will ever have.
I hope these little reminders of what you already know serve you well and help to make 2018 that little bit more special.